Monday, May 18, 2015

Pork Cubed Steak with Golden Brown Gravy



Another one of those recipes that I can make in my sleep and will be in the Facebook album entitled "Simply Southern." If you're fortunate enough to be able to find pork cubed steak in your supermarket, give it a try. If not available, beef cubed steak is a perfect substitute. Simply substitute beef stock for the chicken stock in your gravy.

1 - 1 1/2 lbs. cubed steak
1 cup self rising flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1/4 t. onion powder
1/4 t. granulated garlic
vegetable or corn oil
2 1/2 cups chicken broth

In a cast iron skillet over medium high heat, add oil to a depth of about 1/2 inch. Place flour and seasonings together in a shallow plate and using a fork, stir to combine. Place a few pieces of the cubed steak in the seasoned flour and coat thoroughly. When a drop or two of flour sizzles, your oil is ready.

Slowly add a few pieces of the steak into the oil and reduce heat to medium. Let steak brown and carefully turn over and cook the other side. Remove to a plate and continue cooking steak until all done. Keep remaining flour to make the gravy.

Lower heat to medium low, and pour out all but a tablespoon or so of the oil. Add remaining flour to the oil and, stirring constantly, let cook for a minute or two until the flour has browned. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Slowly pour in chicken broth and continue stirring while gravy thickens.  

Lower heat to low and add the cubed steak back into the gravy until ready to serve. I served over mashed potatoes. 

17 comments:

  1. My hubs picked up a pack of the pork cubed steak by accident and I was wondering what to do with it since we've never had the pork kind before. This recipe sounds delicious! This will be our supper tonight. Thanks so much for the recipe! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. We certainly do! Let me know how it turns out for you. :)

      Delete
  2. I made this tonight - HUGE hit with my family! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for letting me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be trying this recipe tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, like unknown above accidnetly picked up a package of prok cube steaks instead of beef, Also did not know what I was going to do with them besides use for a breakfast meat. I am glad I came across this recipe, will be supper tonight, thank you, sure looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good! We have had it twice now! I roasted carrots with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like fried cubed pork steaks as a sandwich meat. They are tender and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful way to make cubed pork. I made this recipe tonight 😋.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be preparing this recipe tonight. It's very simple and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trying this recipe tonight! Never made gravy with chx broth, can’t wait to taste it!

    ReplyDelete