Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Open Faced Spanish Pot Roast Sandwiches with Iberico Cheese



Remember the Spanish Pot Roast with Anchovies and Sherry we had last week? I froze the leftovers and tonight thawed out the roast to have opened faced sandwiches. I've included a recipe for a very easy brown gravy. Combine the leftover roast with the gravy and let the beef heat through.

I served on top of small, hard rolls which I sliced and spread lightly with butter and then placed under the broiler until toasted. The perfect cheese to top these lovely sandwiches? Iberico, which is a product of Spain and is that country's number one selling cheese. Iberico is a blend of cow, goat, and sheep's milk.


For the Gravy:

3 T. butter
3 T. all purpose flour
2 cups warm beef stock
salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a small saucepan, over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour, whisking constantly to break up all lumps. The longer the roux is cooked, the darker and richer it will get. I usually cook my gravy roux for 3 - 4 minutes.

Make sure your beef stock is warm before adding to the roux. Pour in about 1/4 cup at a time, whisking after each addition.

Add your 2 cups of warmed liquid slowly and bring to a boil. Warm the liquid up in a separate pot or in the microwave before adding it. Only pour in 1/4 cup at a time, whisking it in well before adding the next bit. You don't want to cause any rapid temperature changes in your gravy
Lower the heat and let the gravy simmer until desired thickness.  The gravy will thicken some as it cools, so take it off the heat 1 - 2 minutes before your desired consistency.  Salt and pepper to taste.

So toast those split rolls, ladle on the roast beef and gravy, and top with shaved Iberico. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.



2 comments:

  1. I'm not too adventurous when buying different cheeses. So I've never heard of that one. They look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this one at Publix. I love to try new cheeses!

    ReplyDelete