Saturday, September 24, 2016

Smoked Pulled Pork


If I had to choose my "last meal," pulled pork would definitely be in the running for THE meal. Usually, I think of pulled pork as a summer meal with all the usual cookout trimmings. So the calendar says we're officially into Fall, the thermometer doesn't agree. I chose baked sweet potatoes and fried apples with cotton honey for our sides. Everything paired beautifully. 

I started out with a very simple rub. I didn't measure amounts. I always start my rubs with paprika as the main ingredient and use the largest amount of that flavor and then add to suit my taste, tasting as I go.

Paprika (approximately 1/4 cup)
Granulated Garlic (approximately 3 T.)
Onion Powder (approximately 2 T.)
Ground Cumin (approximately 1 T.)
Chili Powder (approximately 2 T.)
Ground Coriander (approximately 1 t.)
Kosher Salt (approximately 2 T.)
Freshly Ground Black Pepper (approximately 2 t.)

Mix all of the above in a small bowl. Apply liberally to a bone-in, Boston Butt. This one was about 6 pounds.


Into the smoker it goes! Yes, those are hickory chips down there!



It's best to keep the temperature of the smoker between 225 and 250 degrees. For larger pieces of pork, longer smoking time will be required. This one could have cooked an hour or so longer. But we were starving! For a perfectly cooked Boston Butt, you want to be able to gently remove the bone with ease.


Remove from the smoker, wrap in foil, and let it rest for 30 minutes or so.


Shred the meat using two forks. It should easily tear into pieces. Serve with sauce or without!


No comments:

Post a Comment