Monday, March 20, 2017

Lolly's Meatloaf with Garlic Espresso BBQ Sauce


This meal ranks in my top five of "comfort food" meals. I've made meat loaves with white bread soaked in milk, bread crumbs, Italian bread crumbs, etc., but when I want the meat loaf of my childhood, my filler of choice is whole grain oats. Yes, oats.  As in the can with the Quaker man on the label. This is how my mama made meat loaf and sometimes this is exactly what I'm craving.

Granted, my mama always used ketchup with her version, but with leftover Garlic Espresso BBQ Sauce in the fridge, I knew this was my condiment of choice for tonight's meal.

Another twist. Publix had packages of combination ground chuck and ground pork labeled "For Meatloaf." Of course, that's what I bought!

3/4 lb. ground chuck
3/4 lb. ground pork
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
3/4 cup whole grain oats
1 cup (divided) Garlic Espresso BBQ Sauce (or your favorite sauce)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray.

In a large bowl, add all ingredients but ONLY 3/4 CUP BBQ SAUCE. Lightly mixed with a fork or your hands. Gently spoon into prepared loaf pan.

Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and top with remaining BBQ sauce. Return to oven for 10-15 minutes. Bake until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.

Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment