Sunday, August 13, 2017

Ginger Chicken Mushroom Soup with Rice Noodles



I'm a little under the weather with allergies. So much so I've lost my voice which may or may not be a good thing.

I knew chicken soup would definitely make me feel better. But, as normally happens with my food based brain, I immediately started thinking of how I could make a different variation.

Asian flavors came to mind and I hope you'll be as pleased with this one as I was.  It definitely made me feel better inside and out.

If you don't want to use chicken, this soup would be delicious with shrimp or tofu instead. Simply alter the chicken stock with vegetable stock.

I began by making a marinade for the chicken. Using a blend of Honey Ginger Balsamic Vinegar and Garlic Olive Oil as the base, the chicken is already full of flavor before adding it to the flavorful soup base to cook. 

3 T. Honey Ginger Balsamic Vinegar
3 T. Garlic Olive Oil
1/4 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. dried red pepper flakes
1/4 t. anise seeds
2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs 
12 cups chicken stock
1 T. minced garlic
4 green onions, white and some green, thinly sliced (thinly slice the darker green tops and reserve)
2 t. grated fresh ginger
2 T. soy sauce
4 oz. mixed mushrooms (I used baby portabellas, oyster, shiitake)
1 medium bok choy (remove hard bulb end, dice the white part, thinly slice the greens)
6 oz. rice noodles, broken up into a few sections
1 T. Honey Ginger Balsamic Vinegar

Toppings:  Sesame oil, thinly sliced green onions, black and/or white sesame seeds, dried red pepper flakes.

In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, ginger, salt, red pepper flakes, and anise seeds. Place chicken into marinade and, using tongs, turn chicken until completely coverd with marinade. Cover and place in refrigerator for several hours.

Remove chicken from refrigerator, and dice into 1/2" inch pieces discarding any fat on chicken.

Bring chicken stock to a gentle boil in a large Dutch oven. Add garlic, onions, ginger, and diced chicken. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Let cook for 20 - 30 minutes.

Add soy sauce, mushrooms, prepared bok choy. Let cook for 5 minutes. 

Add rice noodles and let simmer for 7 - 8 minutes. Add the final tablespoon of Honey Ginger Balsamic Vinegar right before removing from heat.

Ladle into individual bowls and top with your choice of a drizzle of Sesame Oil, thinly sliced green onions, black and/or white sesame seeds, dried red pepper flakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment